Thursday 19 December 2013

What makes a father? (Who is God)

Matthew 7:9-11 (http://bit.ly/1dN4LlH)
Hebrews 12:5-9 (http://bit.ly/19c9Fvt)

What do you need to do to become a father? Is it something that you go to university to study for years on end? Do you need a lot of money to be able to buy the term father? Or maybe being a father mean being better than other people at what they do and that is what makes them a father?

Being a father requires none of the above.Being a father means having someone that you are responsible for and that look to you for support..

So the next question that comes to mind is, "What makes a good Father?"

For myself, what makes a good father is knowing that he is always there when I need them, he will be there when I'm have something great I need to share or in those time I am feeling really down and just need to talk. He would be very involved with my life, always trying to teach me something new (letting me make my own mistakes so that I learn my own way). And as much as I hate to admit it he would be there to hurt my when it was best for me whether that just be sending me to the doctor to get a shot, or letting me hurt myself on my bike after repeatedly warning me. He will always do what he thinks to be best for me.


So if these are the things that I look for in a father on earth, how does that compare to the father of our spirits? God in heaven is perfect in every aspect, including how much he loves us and wanting/doing the best for us? These scriptures I have shared today make this comparison. They really help me understand who God is in my life. I used to think of God as some big person in the sky with cloudy throne. (yes it was a very Greek idea, I think I watch too much Hercules) but I've been learning just how personal God is to us individually.

When we think of God, what do we think of? Is it someone that we know loves us or is it more some great person in heaven that seems so unapproachable? Why do we think of God the way we do?
 And what can we do to know God and who he is better?

No comments:

Post a Comment